Monday 28 May 2018

The Night Circus book review

Hey guys! I hope you are doing well! Now that I have finished my exams I have really wanted to get back into reading this summer and try and get back to the library and read some more! I bought The Night Circus by Erin Morganstern a while ago but I have saved it until I finished my exams to read it and I thought I would do a review on it!



I actually went into this book blind, I had heard a lot of good reviews for it but I had no idea about the plot line or what the book was about at all and the blurb of the book gives very little away too. But the basic story line is about these two great magicians, who have very different ways of teaching, pick a child and teach them magic. Then over the years there is this mysterious test that the children are being taught for. This time the stage of the test is a mysterious travailing circus and things are made more complicated when the two contestants, Celia and Marco, meet and fall in love.

The thing with this book is that it has a large focus on this magical circus, made up of the amazing tents as well as the main story line which I personally loved. I really liked this book for its gorgeous descriptions and it's imagery. It really feels like you're stepping into this magical world and that personally kept me reading. For me, the characters and the plot line were almost secondary to the circus if that makes sense, which I was fine with since I wasn't the biggest fan of many of the characters if I am being honest.

Having said that, I don't think this book is for everyone. While I personally loved reading about the circus so much I could totally understand how people would find this book "boring". It's not exactly action packed, there are no big twists or turns and it sort of feels like in terms of the actual so called test Celia and Marco have to do, nothing really happens until the end and even then it's a bit of a strange ending. This book had a serious "Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell" feel to it, a book I read last year and personally loved so this kind of book is definitely on my wavelength and if you read that book and loved it then I think you will really like this book too. But when reading this be prepared for a large focus on the circus itself and the circus characters and the meetings about the circus rather than the plot line I discussed above.

For me the main reason I loved this book was really the description of the circus and all of the tents which are in the circus Morgenstern's writing style and description made it so easy to visual the circus and it made me just want to crawl inside the pages and never leave! It is a gorgeous book to read but like I said above, it's not a book I would recommend to everyone and if you love action packed "exciting" books then I don't really think this is the book for you! But if you love magic and lovely imagery with an air of mystery then I think you will!

Lots of love,
Eleanor x




No comments:

Post a Comment