Sunday 17 August 2014

More to life than beauty| you are not beautiful

Hey Lovlies, I realise it has been a few weeks since I did a post I think maybe three or four and I'm sorry about that I've just been so busy with holidays and catching up on well deserved rest! But I'm back now and I have some super exciting posts coming up which I'm sure you'll love, and because I missed Tunesday last month, You'll be getting a double playlist in a few weeks which you can check out here along with my other playlists. and of course I'll be uploading them both onto here which means you can see the completed ones at a later date.




This post had been inspired by and is based on a video I saw a few weeks back by youtuber Candy Something and I would recommend watching the video here . In the video Candice names all of the things that her friend is such as caring and funny and smart. But one word she doesn't use to describe her friend is "Beautiful" and she explains how her hypothetical friend would probably be offended that she wasn't called pretty. The message I got from the video, was that it really struck me about how much we value being called beautiful and pretty. Back when everyone used to do those "Yto" trends on facebook it was almost considered an insult if the person didn't say you were beautiful on your wall. Everyone seems to value beauty over everything. People would rather be called beautiful than kind and prefer hot over smart. It's like you can have all these great traits but as soon as you're not "beautiful" none of these traits matter. I think there's something very wrong with that. Everyone is obsessed with this idea that you have to be beautiful to be something, as if none of the other amazing personality traits you posses are important, it's all about beauty, beauty beauty.

The thing is, there is more to life than being beautiful, there is more to people. People are a mix of a thousand different qualities and yet the only quality that seems to matter is being pretty. Being beautiful is no more important than being adventurous or being a shoulder to cry on or being optimistic. It's just a simple characteristic like the rest and yet we all value it above others. Why? Why do we thing that it is more important? Media? Peers? At the end of the day beauty is a socially construed concept, it changes from different society and different time periods. Technically beauty does not exist so why do we think so highly of it?

Here's a little pause for thought, stop thinking so highly of the characteristic and conceptional adjective "Beautiful" because at the end of the day there is so many more characteristics that are of the exact same importance.
Eleanor x

1 comment:

  1. Love your post! You are right..it is much more to life than calling ourselves beautiful and pretty!

    ReplyDelete