Wednesday 22 August 2018

Turtles all the way down book review

Hey guys! I am back with another book review today! I read this book before I even went on holiday but because I have been the worst blogger in the world recently I have only just got round to doing a review of it!



The main reason I actually bought this book was because I own and have read all of John Green's previous books and I didn't want to leave this one out of my collection! Before reading it I was a bit nervous about reading it which sounds a bit stupid but I was kind of nervous that I would feel I had outgrown John Green? So I put off getting this book for quite a while. However, I actually did really enjoy this book and enjoy reading this book and I thought I would share some of my thoughts!

This book is about Aza, a girl who suffers from anxiety disorders who searches with her "best and most fearless friend" Daisy for a missing fugitive who also happens to be the dad of an old friend of Aza's. When reading this sort of basic blurb for this book I was pretty excited! I was excited for a bit of a mystery book and I was a little disappointed on this front when I got into it and realised it wasn't really a clue finding scooby doo sort of book. I just wish there had been some more actual mystery/detective work I'm sorry!!

Having said that, most importantly this book is an excellent retelling of what living with anxiety is like. Aza has these thought spirals that she struggles to get out of and as someone who really struggles with this too I was literally shouting out loud "yes" sometimes because I wholeheartedly agreed. It feels so true to home and accurate and I hope that people will read this and understand what living with anxiety is actually like. The other thing I really liked about this book was that it did include what life was like for the best friend of someone with anxiety too. Although I thought at some points Daisy was extremely harsh, I'm glad that Green included that side too, and how it can be difficult for them too. Which is of course not Aza's fault, but I am glad it included this as I'm sure this resonates with people too.

I really liked the characters in this book, but like with all of John Green's books, I often find bits of it really unrealistic. Like Aza is a deep thinker, this is obvious, but at times I felt like it was almost too deep? I don't really know how to explain it but at times it felt a bit unrealistic and extreme, but perhaps that was the point!

Now the ending I found a bit unexpected! The ending opened up more questions than it bloody answered! But I did quite like it I just wished more things had been explained...

Overall I really enjoyed this book, I am a sucker for John Green's writing which I know a lot of people don't like but I can't help it. I think it's actually one of my favourite John Green novels and I would recommend it!
Lots of love,
Eleanor x

No comments:

Post a Comment