Monday 13 February 2017

More Than This (Patrick Ness) book review

Hey guys! Today's post is a book review of "More Than This" by Patrick Ness. If you saw my what I got for my birthday post last week you will have seen I asked for lots of Patrick Ness books and straight away I had to jump into More Than This because I've been wanting to read it for a really long time! This review will include a few minor spoilers so if you don't want any spoilers I would not read this post! No major plot lines or twists are reviled though.



Seth wakes up in his childhood after having died and has absolutely no idea where he is but he's pretty sure he's in hell. It does seem like hell, there's no one around and not much food or water. He's covered in these strange tapes and covered in bruises. I love the premise of this book. It's so interesting and really keeps you on tenterhooks as you learn all about this strange world. I really liked the main character and I love how Patrick Ness keeps a lot of information from you at the beginning so you really feel like Seth, no idea where he is.

As the book develops you meet two more characters, Regine and Tomasz who are always show up at exactly the right time, nd who conveniently have all the answers something which Seth does comment on a lot. In fact, Seth often wonders if he's imagining this place and that's why he's always luckily saved. I think it's good in a way that Ness notices this fact, and actually comments on how contrived the story is to the point that he thinks he's imagining his own film. But it is almost like Ness can't help himself but make the story follow a "happy film like line" where the bad guys die and the good guys live.

In terms of emotions, I wouldn't say the book was happy or sad, it's somewhere in between. It has sad moments definitely and I love the flashbacks to Seth's previous life and of course the massive twists made me actually gasp out loud sometimes but they aren't exactly happy. The book does raise some really big questions about humanity and technology that I found really interesting and I would really recommend reading this.

I personally wasn't the biggest fan of the ending. It's quite ambiguous and kind of leaves it on a cliffhanger for you to make your own ending so to speak but I personally like a clean cut ending! But that's just personal choice, if you quite like those endings then you will really like this book. Despite not really liking the ending I loved this book and honestly it's so hard writing this review without spoiling some of the main points in this book they just want to explode out of me! It's just one you have to go out and read!

Have you read this? What did you think? I will be posting two times this week you lucky things so I will be back later this week. You can see what I get up to daily by following my twitter @ellie_smith or my Instagram @littleblogsfromlittlepeople.
Lots of love,
Eleanor x

No comments:

Post a Comment