Sunday 4 January 2015

All the books I read in 2014




Hey guys! As promised, here's my post on all the books I read in 2014 plus mini reviews on the best and worst and a rating for each however I have not rated some classic books because I feel like I couldn't possibly rate them. Because I was super busy this year with one thing and another I only read 28 books within the whole year and 1 play which is pretty low for me. Nevertheless, in order here they are.

1) Will Grayson Will Grayson- John Green and David Levithan, 7.5/10
2) Paper Towns- John Green, 7/10
3) To Kill a Mocking Bird- Harper Lee, -
4) City of lost Souls- Cassandra Clare,7/10
5) An abundance of Katherine's- John Green, 6/10
6) Still Alice- Lisa Genova, 7/10
7) Let it snow- John Green, Maureen Johnson and Lauren Myracle, 7/10
8) Kneller's Happy campers- Etgar Keret, 8/10
9) The time travellers wife-Audrey Niffenegger, 8/10
10) The Book Thief- Markus Zusak, 8/10
11) Enduring Love- Ian McEwan, 5/10
12) The Road- Cormac Mccarthy,5/10
13) 1984- George Orwell, -
14) Life of Pi- Yann Martell, 6/10
15) Rebecca- Daphne du Maurier, -
16) Brighton Rock- Graham Green, 5/10
17) Exposure- Kathy Reichs, 6.5/10
18) Divergant- Veronica Roth, 8/10
19) Insurgent- Veronica Roth, 7/10
20) Allegiant- Veronica Roth 8.5/10
21) Four- Veronica Roth, 7/10
22) City of Heavenly Fire- Cassandra Clare, 7.5/10
23) Catcher In the Rye- J.D Salinger, -
24) Pride and Prejudice- Jane Austin, -
25) The Kite Runner- Khaled Hosseini, 8/10
26) Mindset- Dr Carol Dweck, 9/10
27) The colour Purple- Alice Walker, -
28) Perfume Story of a murderer- Patrick Suiskind, 5/10
29) Macbeth- William Shakespeare, -

Best Books I read this year:
The colour Purple: This is probably my top book this year and so i couldn't really bear to give it a rating. I wasn't sure I would enjoy it at first when I heard the premise, especially because the beginning of it is so dark and has lots of dark things within it such as rape. This book is all amount woman empowerment and I just loved it. I would probably put an age rating on this, probably 16 plus I think there are a lot of bit's where even I couldn't read because it was so upsetting ect and there's a bit of sexual content as well. Also don't read if you're triggered by reading about rape. But in all seriousness this is one of the best books I've read and I'd definitely recommend it.

Mindset: This is the only non fiction book I read this year and oh  my god it's life changing. I read it as extra reading for my psychology course and it teaches all about how to change you're mindset to a more positive one so that you can get better results from all aspects of your life. love!

Worst books I read this year: 
Perfume story of a murder: Despite this one being regarded as almost a classic, I really did not enjoy this book. I thought I would really like it because the story line sounds amazing alone but it didn't seem to "kick off" at any point like I found it quite tedious and boring which is a real shame because I had high hopes for it.

Brighton Rock: Again this one probably a lot of people will be annoyed that I put so low, but I personally just did not enjoy the book. It was difficult to read and I didn't really like any of the characters.

Books that destroyed me:
The book theif: I finished this really late at night, and I cried so much I literally ran into my mums room to tell her what happened, the ending killed me.

Allegiant: Last instalment of the divergent trilogy. I got so into this series and then the ending of it... just omg. I was finishing this off on a late night plane and I was the only one awake just sobbing my heart out.

Best Love story
Time Travellers wife: I adored the love story and the characters in this, although it's a bit of a weepy and nearly made my books that destroyed me, it just had to go in here instead, loved Henry and Clare's romance.

Pride and Prejudice: It had to be.

Strangest book:
Knellers happy campers: Okay so I had to talk about this book. It's so incredibly short and yet so good but so strange. It's about a boy who commits suicide and all people that commit suicide go to a special kind of after life and he looks for his girlfriend who also committed suicide and he ends up meeting these other people who travel with him. there's a film based on it called wrist cutters: a love story, which I've never seen, but this was a really odd book that I'd definitely recommend!

Have you read any of these books this year? What did you think!
Lots of love
Eleanor x

No comments:

Post a Comment