Wednesday 3 December 2014

Compassion - treat yourself better



Hey guys! Happy december! Are you getting into the christmassy spirit? I know I am, It's definitely never too early to start listening to Christmas songs and that's what I'm doing now, I just get so excited! Because it is the lead up to Christmas, I thought this month I'd make all my posts christmassy, so although I'm not doing a post a day, I'm still going to do my Christmas little thoughts and my random Friday posts are going to be Christmassy too, including a cheeky foodie Friday and a look at my favourite Christmas things and Christmas pinterest board!

For my first Christmas little thought I wanted to talk about a really old fashioned word, compassion, This is not something that is heard of a lot and it would be seemed really strange to use it within a conversation. The definition of compassion is "sympathetic pity and concern for the suffering and misfortunes of others." But what about yourself? Do you ever take concern for your own personal suffering? While you don't want to have too much pity on yourself as to all you think about are your own worries, sometimes we do not take any pity, but instead get angry at our mistakes. Nowerdays because of how society is built, we are constantly pushing ourselves, constantly forcing ourselves to do better or be better. But we never really take time to praise ourselves or tell ourselves that what we did was good. I know that for me personally, when I do bad or good in an exam, I ask myself why didn't I do better, even if I got an A, I ask why wasn't it an A*? I think this is so common, we never take time to think, "wow I did really well on this."

Another thing i do, I'm not sure if this is common, but when I do do well at something, my automatic response is "It's a fluke." Even if I worked really hard. It's like we don't want to raise our hopes up. As it's coming up to Christmas we can put real stress on ourselves, getting things sorted, mock exams and real exams, sorting the family out ect. Often we don't reward ourselves or remind ourselves that actaully what we did was good. When we do something wrong, we criticise ourselves, but when we do something good, we don't really praise ourselves. This Christmas, let's all remember to have compassion for ourselves, remember to praise ourselves and have pity on our sufferings, and not get angry at ourselves, remembering everyone makes mistakes and it's okay to fail at somethings, or not send a card off or time, or get a present wrapped on time. Remember it's okay to treat yourself once in a while, don't feel guilty for having extra turkey at Christmas!


Lots of Love
Eleanor x

No comments:

Post a Comment